Your passion is an amazing resource. You can access it, if you choose. Indeed, everyone around you has it and can access it.
But very few people do, in fact, access passion.
I see this as an enormous waste of potential. Are you wasting your potential?
Passion Makes Your Greatest Potential Accessible
When you access your passion, you create many benefits for yourself:
- You are able to outperform the non-passionate ones around you.
- You feel that you are living a life of significance.
- You are easily able to build great teams.
- You have high energy. (My definition of ‘passion’ is: a source of unlimited energy from your soul that enable you to produce extra-ordinary results.)
- You are able to build and maintain great relationships. People love being around those who are passionate.
- You are more capable of taking risks, because your passion is the source of your courage.
- Because you have courage, you make mistakes to grow. Human beings can ONLY grow through mistake-making. It is not possible to do so otherwise.
- You learn to love change rather than to resist it. Most people fear change because of the danger of increased mistake-making, but you can see through this illusion.
- You are able to clarify your goals.
- You are able to clarify your vision.
- You are able to act with integrity, because you have self-awareness
- Your strategic influencing skills are at a high level, because you impact others around you at a spiritual level, as well as physical and mental levels.
- You love what you do.
- You love what happens to you, rather than resisting these happenings. You understand that everything that happens to you while you are pursuing your passion serves you.
The price you pay when you do not take the steps to access your passion are profound:
- You generate poor income.
- You are filled with negative thoughts.
- You make poor decisions.
- You feel dull, boring, lifeless.
- You have poor relationships.
- You have poor work/life balance.
- Your life feels like it has little meaning or purpose.
- You experience little growth.
- You often feel unfulfilled, unhappy, unsuccessful!
You Control Your Reality
Each one of us creates our own reality. How do we do this?
You do this through your amazing sub-conscious mind. It is a video and audio recorder that has recorded absolutely everything that you have experienced since you were conceived. It is also a ‘feelings’ and ‘emotions’ recorder – they, too, are faithfully recorded.
Here’s the big idea. NOBODY on our earth, out of all living 7+ billion humans, has recorded the identical set of experiences that your amazing mind has recorded. And nobody who has died before you recorded the same experiences as you. Isn’t that scary??
Your sub-conscious mind works 24/7 to protect you from ‘pain’, ‘trauma’ and ‘negativity’. Also it pushes you in the direction of ‘pleasure’, ‘ease’ and ‘comfort’. But it is your past, unique set of recorded life experiences that determines whether something is, broadly, pain or pleasure. Nobody has the same equation as you. Therefore, you are constantly experiencing ‘life’, and your sub-conscious mind is constantly working to interpret what you are experiencing.
This is how you create meaning. This is how you create your reality.
And this is the same way that you create your ‘beliefs’.
Are Your Beliefs Limiting Your Self Potential?
Your beliefs are simply a set of feelings of certainty about something. You might believe that socialism is wonderful. You might believe that God does not exist. You might believe that big pharma is honest.
All of us have beliefs. It helps us to function. We come to a conclusion about something, and then we save time by acting consistently with that conclusion.
The problem is that you have formed beliefs ABOUT YOURSELF, based on your unique reality. And a number of these beliefs limit your potential. Beliefs such as:
- I believe I’m not smart.
- I believe I can never be a spectacular success.
- I believe that I am not attractive.
- I believe that I cannot learn quickly.
- I believe that God will punish me if I earn too much money.
- And so on…
I urge you to start the process of identifying what you actually believe about yourself, and then decide which of these beliefs are helpful you and which are a hindrance. Many of my executive coaching clients do not even have conscious awareness of what they believe, yet their beliefs are controlling and guiding their decisions.
Conscious awareness of what you believe about yourself is a wonderful step in ridding yourself of self-limitations.
A final thought for you, that I learned from Earl Nightingale’s work:
We become what we think about most of the time!
So, dear reader, guard your thoughts!
About the Author
After 20 years of high level legal and business experience, Charles Kovess (LL.B. Hons, LL.M., CSP, MAICD), turned his back on the law in 1993 to share success strategies as a professional speaker, MC & facilitator and executive coach. Charles has provoked, enthused and inspired companies and individuals to achieve world-class results by harnessing passion, and is known as Australasia’s Passion Provocateur.
He is the Founder and CEO of Kovess International, a Past National President of the National Speakers’ Association of Australia, President of the Australia-Hungary Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Trustee of the Global Energy Network Institute, CEO of an innovative manufacturer of industrial hemp processing machinery, Past President of the Lorne Surf Life Saving Club, Past Councillor of the Law Institute of Victoria, and a Certified Speaking Professional. Recently, Charles accepted the role as Chairman of the Australian Institute of Comedy Ltd, and this role supports his conviction that the best events are those that generate plenty of laughs!
Charles has authored two inspirational books, Passionate People Produce, and Passionate Performance, and is the co-author of The 7 Heavenly Virtues of Leadership. His next book, Regeneration, will be published later in 2018.
Charles is not only passionate about the power of passion: he is also passionate about entrepreneurship, innovation and sport! He is currently competing in his 34th consecutive year in triathlons; he qualified as an international water polo referee, played A Grade Amateur Football, and has completed nine marathons. He is the father of five children, aged from 36 years down to 7 years.
This article (Role that Passion and Your Beliefs Play in Reaching Your Greatest Potential) is copyrighted by Awareness Junkie, 2018. You may not copy, reproduce or publish any content therein without written permission. Feel free to share this article on social networks and via email. If you have questions, please contact us here.
Disclaimer: This article is not intended to provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Moreover, views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of Awareness Junkie or its staff.