We all know that what we eat affects our health. And today, with so many environmental pollutants, we need as much healthy food as we can get. Luckily, nature has provided us with many foods that fight cancer and the free radicals associated with this widespread disease.
Free Radicals Damage the Body
Factors such as air and water pollution, radiation, herbicides, pesticides, and chemicals in food all spawn free radicals, which can attack healthy cells. Scientists have linked free radicals to cancer and other illnesses including atherosclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, and Parkinson’s disease.
Normally, the body can handle free radicals, which are natural byproducts of the body’s chemical processes, such as metabolism. Unfortunately, free-radical production becomes excessive in most people with increased exposure to pollutants and chemicals.
As a result, damage occurs in human cells. Thus, molecules may mutate and grow tumors. Additionally, free radical damage accumulates with age.
Foods That Fight Cancer
Numerous scientific studies have shown that several foods have strong cancer-fighting properties. Below are just some of those foods.
1. Beans – Beans are filled with phytochemicals that stop cancer cell reproduction and slow progression of tumors.
2. Black cumin – Black cumin seed has the ability to strengthen the immune support system. It has also been used to treat pancreatic cancer, resulting in significant cancer cell death. You can buy black cumin seed oil supplements if you want to get a good dosage.
3. Carrots – Carrots are rich in beta-carotene. This antioxidant protects cell membranes from damage caused by free radicals and slows the growth of cancer cells. Reportedly, Ann Cameron, an American woman, cured her stage 4 colon and lung cancer by using nothing but carrot juice.
4. Cruciferous vegetables – Veggies such as bok choy, broccoli, cabbage and collard greens, contain sulforophane. The body processes sulforphane into a super beneficial compound which can stop cancerous tumors from growing. [Source] In addition, this compound helps diabetics to balance their blood sugar levels. [Source] Broccoli sprouts have the highest concentration of sulforophane.
5. Garlic – Organo-sulfur compounds found in garlic may be an effective non-invasive forms of cancer therapy. Neurologists, who studied these compounds, have found that organo-sulfurs in garlic demonstrate efficacy in eradicating brain cancer cells.
6. Ginger – The anit-inflammatory properties of ginger can slow down or kill cancer growth. A study conducted by University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center showed that ginger kills ovarian cancer cells. Similarly to other spices, you can get a hefty dose of ginger by taking raw ginger root powder supplements.
7. Green tea – A study out of Tohoku University School of Medicine in Sendai, Japan, suggests drinking green tea may have a favorable effect “for particular cancers.” Green tea contains many potent antioxidants to help detoxify the body and retards cancer growth.
8. Pomegranate – Fresh and fermented pomegranate fruit are both higher in concentration of antioxidants than any other known food. Studies have shown that this fruit can inhibit growth of various cancer cells, including that of prostate, breast, colon and skin cancers.
9. Turmeric – Curcumin is turmeric’s primary polyphenol with strong antioxidant properties. This antioxidant is unique in that it appears to be universally useful for just about every type of cancer, claims Dr. William LaValley, a doctor of functional integrative oncology.
Both Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine have used turmeric root for ages. Further, extensive studies have shown that it is one of the top foods that fight cancer. It can also be purchased as a supplement or a spice.
10. Vitamin D – Although Vitamin D is not a specific food, research has show low levels of vitamin D have been directly associated with various forms of cancer. Several scientists suggest that patients are more likely to survive certain cancers with high levels of vitamin D. This affects patients with colorectal cancer, lymphoma or breast cancer.
This article (10 Foods That Fight Cancer and Free Radicals) is copyrighted by Awareness Junkie, 2017. Furthermore, you may not copy, reproduce, publish or distribute any content therein without written permission. You may contact us here.
Disclaimer: This article is not intended to provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Moreover, views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of Awareness Junkie or its staff.